I’ve loaded Precise into VMware (2GB, 2 cores). In 30 minutes I’ve run across so many UI idiosyncrasies in Software Center that I can’t remember them all. Here’s a short list:
- When I installed git, it didn’t change it’s status to installed until I moved to another screen and back.
- When I went back to see git, it had a “Buy…” button. When I clicked elsewhere and back again, it changed to “Remove”.
- It’s so slow. I doubt it’s VMware because other GUIs respond just fine.
- It’s constantly bringing up a new debconf window that appears for a few seconds in my launcher.
- The back/forward arrows don’t work sometimes. I did a search, clicked a package, then I couldn’t go back to the result page because the history disappeared (back arrow no longer clickable).
- It’s always refreshing the screen. I queued the removal of all default games. While I was looking at another package, it kept refreshing the whole screen again and again.
- The window just uses space poorly. A search gives you a list of packages on the left side, leaving a vast amount of lonely white space on the right side. They could have used that to show more info, improve search (tags cloud, refine search), list dependencies, whatever.